Governance Professionals of Canada (GPC) Announces Winners of the Fourth Annual Excellence in Governance Awards (EGAs)
TORONTO, Nov. 16, 2016 /CNW/ – Governance Professionals of Canada (“GPC”) handed out the fourth Annual Excellence in Governance Awards (“EGAs”) last night at their dinner and ceremony held at The Carlu in Toronto. The EGAs recognize the important contribution governance professionals make in terms of best practices that build and sustain shareholder and stakeholder value.
The following winners were selected in these categories:
- Best Practices in Enterprise Risk Management: Vancouver Airport Authority
- Best Practices in Sustainability and Environmental, Social and Governance: The Co-operators
- Best Approach to Achieving Effective Board and Committee Operations: RBC
- Best Practices to Enhance Boardroom Diversity: Goldcorp Inc.
- Best Practices in Strategic Planning, Oversight and Value Creation by the Board: TransCanada Corporation
- Best Engagement by a Governance Team: Manulife Financial Corporation and Gore Mutual Insurance Company
- Best Pay for Performance: MEG Energy Corporation
- Best Overall Governance: the Canadian National Railway Company and ATB Financial
- Peter Dey Governance Achievement Award: Kathleen (Katie) Taylor, Chair of the Board, RBC
GPC President Lynn Beauregard states, “The Excellence in Governance Award winners deserve to be celebrated for promoting and practicing good governance in their organizations. The EGAs recognize excellence across all sectors and markets as it is equally important in a not for profit as in a public company to have transparency, accountability and strong governance systems.” Beauregard further states that “The EGA winners are leaders in the corporate governance community and exemplify why corporate governance should be an important feature in every organization in Canada.”
In honour of the Excellence in Governance Awards and good corporate governance, GPC is opening the market this morning at the TMX Broadcast Centre in Toronto.
The final award winners were chosen out of 60 nominations from across Canada by a jury panel composed of seasoned and well-respected governance experts and include:
- Honorary Judge, Peter Dey, Chairman, Paradigm Capital Inc.
- Judging Facilitator, Geoffrey D. Creighton, President, In-House Counsel Worldwide
- Gigi Dawe, Principal, Research Guidance and Support Leader, Corporate Oversight and Governance, Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada
- Sylvia Groves, President and Creative Director, Governance Studio
- Dr. Richard Leblanc, Associate Professor, Law, Governance and Ethics, Director Master Financial Accountability, York University
- Carrie Mandel, Partner, Legal, Compliance and Regulatory Practice, Spencer Stuart
- Paul Schneider, Head of Corporate Governance, Public Equities, Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan
- Elizabeth Watson, QC, Founder and President, Watson Inc.
- Brendan Sheehan, Managing Director, Corporate Governance, Rivel Research Group
GPC is recognized as the most important organization for corporate governance professionals in Canada. As the principal advocate for those who work in corporate governance, GPC strives to enhance the public’s awareness of the importance of good governance. GPC is the voice of corporate governance professionals in Canada and participates with other stakeholders, including capital markets participants, government bodies and regulators, in fostering a governance environment that sets Canada apart from the world. GPC supports its membership with continuing education and networking opportunities that are second to none.
For further information:
Lynn Beauregard, President
416-921-5449 ext. 306